Wednesday, October 9, 2013

C4T #2

Physical Education and Technology



JonesyTheTeacher

Having a crack at putting PE in the 21st C




Building Bridges
By: Brendan Jones
August 27, 2013


The first post I read by Brendan Jones was called Building Bridges. The post talked about him always being intrigued by the use of games in learning. He says “But on reflection there were things I learned from playing games that weren’t just high scores or earning badges. I learned that persistence pays off; failure is a part of learning; that sometimes the way to solve a problem that seems most obvious isn’t always the most efficient (or fun) way to get there; that finding a shortcut isn’t always called cheating; and, relationships matter – there are people out there that can help you if you get stuck.” While he worked at PLANE, he learned a lot about people using games and virtual worlds to support learning in their schools. He loves the idea that building in the virtual and real worlds will become an amalgam of learning that means something more than just a theory lesson.

My comment to his post:
Mr. Jonesy,
My name is Laura Hamilton, and this fall I’m taking a class called EDM 310, www.edm310.blogspot.com at the University of South Alabama. This class is very important in the field I’m going into, Physical Education, and Sports Management. This class will help me learn how to evolve technology into the classroom today. I have been assigned to your blog for a few assignments for my own personal blog this fall, www.hamiltonlauraedm310.blogspot.com.
This is a very interesting idea and seems like a lot of fun for the students to get involved in their learning. I love the idea that building in the virtual and real worlds will become an amalgam of learning that means something more than just a theory lesson for students. Great Post!




Productivity



From No Spoons, to ladles, and in between
By: Brendan Jones
September 30, 2013


The second blog post I read by Brenda Jones was about a lesson or a project in her classroom and how it went. She had many positives in her project including using the use of Edmodo. Submission of work, homework and quizzes were consistently completed by the majority of the class, but not everyone. Online conversations, however, were not a strong point of their Edmodo experience. But she also talked about troubles with the blog she used. The blog was dependent on the students submitting work electronically. This worked pretty well, but she needed to stay on top of the posting, which she didn’t. The students were offered roles as contributors, but saw that as an additional work load that they didn’t want to take on. She also realized how much textbooks meant to students. "The students are so wedded to the idea of having a text book that it became a major distraction when we didn’t issue one to everyone (even though I knew some kids wouldn’t even open them over the course of the Prelim year).” So she resorted to sharing snippets of textbooks that enabled them to work on the set tasks in class. This is linked to their use of laptops – digital texts were available, but not everyone valued them as much as paper texts – go figure.

My Comment to his post:
Mr. Jonesy,
My name is Laura Hamilton, and this fall I’m taking a class called EDM 310, www.edm310.blogspot.com at the University of South Alabama. This class is very important in the field I’m going into, Physical Education, and Sports Management. This class will help me learn how to evolve technology into the classroom today. I have been assigned to your blog for a few assignments for my own personal blog this fall, www.hamiltonlauraedm310.blogspot.com.
I really like the thought of having so much new technology in the classroom today. But sometimes in class I have a hard time trying to put technology into my field, physical education. I feel students don’t want a textbook to learn how to play volleyball, or how to shoot a free throw. And as you said “Make the lesson delivery as vibrant and engaging as possible. Rather than lecturing, I intend to find stimulus around us that means something to the students. Students asking questions and answering each other’s questions will be an indicator I strive for.” That’s something as educators we could all strive for! Thanks for the great post!

No comments:

Post a Comment